
Jammu, 22 May (H.S.): The District Administration Udhampur has imposed a strict ban on the movement of heavy vehicles, including trucks, tippers and dumpers, over the Salmey Bridge/Aqueduct citing serious safety concerns and threat to structural integrity.
According to an order issued by Additional District Magistrate Udhampur Dr. Umesh Shan under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS), 2023, the restriction has been enforced following reports from the Executive Engineer, Civil Maintenance Division, PDC Udhampur.
The communication stated that heavy dumpers and overloaded vehicles were continuing to ply over the bridge despite the structure having been declared unsafe for carrying heavy loads.
Authorities warned that unchecked movement of such vehicles could further damage the bridge and pose an imminent threat to human life and public property.
The order said previous restrictions had already been imposed in 2022, while vehicular movement over the bridge was also temporarily suspended between January 26 and January 28, 2024, due to safety reasons.
The administration has directed SSP Udhampur, SSP Traffic National Highway Ramban, Assistant Regional Transport Officer Udhampur, District Mineral Officer and concerned magistrates to ensure strict implementation of the order.
Officials said the ban has come into effect immediately and will remain in force till further orders.
---------------
Hindusthan Samachar / Krishan Kumar