Kolkata Police Arrest Alleged Mastermind Behind Park Circus Violence, 46 Held So Far
Kolkata, 19 May (H.S.) : Kolkata Police on Tuesday arrested Faridul Islam, alleged to be the mastermind behind the violent clashes that broke out in the minority-dominated Park Circus area of central Kolkata on Sunday. The violence erupted during
Suvendu Adhikari


Kolkata, 19 May (H.S.) : Kolkata Police on Tuesday arrested Faridul Islam, alleged to be the mastermind behind the violent clashes that broke out in the minority-dominated Park Circus area of central Kolkata on Sunday.

The violence erupted during a protest against the use of bulldozers to demolish illegal constructions, during which protesters allegedly hurled stones and bricks at police and Central Armed Police Force personnel, injuring several security personnel.

According to police sources, Faridul Islam played a key role in organising the violent demonstration by first circulating provocative posts on social media and later delivering inflammatory speeches at the protest site.

Investigators are now examining CCTV footage from the area to identify and arrest other persons allegedly involved in the violence. With Faridul’s arrest, the total number of people arrested in connection with the case has risen to 46.

The Park Circus seven-point crossing had turned into a virtual battleground on Sunday afternoon after protesters allegedly blocked the busy intersection. When personnel from Kolkata Police and central paramilitary forces attempted to clear the blockade, they came under stone-pelting by demonstrators.

Several police vehicles were vandalised during the violence, while a number of police and paramilitary personnel sustained serious injuries. Security forces later resorted to a lathi-charge to bring the situation under control.

On Monday, Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari visited Park Circus and held a meeting with officers at the office of the Deputy Commissioner of the South-East Division of Kolkata Police. Kolkata Police Commissioner Ajay Nand and other senior officials were present during the visit.

Addressing media personnel at Park Circus crossing, the Chief Minister said the attack on police personnel was the “first and last” such incident during his government’s tenure and warned of strict legal action against anyone attacking security personnel in future.

Suvendu Adhikari also alleged that Sunday’s protest was pre-planned. He said political and religious organisations had the right to hold programmes after informing police, but added that raising religious slogans and attacking police with stones would not be tolerated.

The Chief Minister further remarked that stone-pelting on police had stopped in Kashmir and Srinagar and expressed hope that such incidents would also end in West Bengal and Kolkata. He later visited the injured police and CAPF personnel.

Hindusthan Samachar / Satya Prakash Singh


 rajesh pande