TMC candidate Jahangir Khan announces withdrawal from Falta repoll race ahead of voting
Kolkata, 19 May (H.S.): In a dramatic political development ahead of the repoll in Falta Assembly constituency, Trinamool Congress candidate Jahangir Khan on Tuesday announced that he was withdrawing himself from the electoral contest, just 48 hour
Jahangir Khan


Kolkata, 19 May (H.S.): In a dramatic political development ahead of the repoll in Falta Assembly constituency, Trinamool Congress candidate Jahangir Khan on Tuesday announced that he was withdrawing himself from the electoral contest, just 48 hours before voting.

Addressing a press conference on the final day of campaigning, Jahangir Khan said he would no longer contest the election and also welcomed the “special package” announced for Falta by Suvendu Adhikari.

Khan stated that he had taken the decision keeping in mind the development of Falta and the need to maintain peace in the region. He said the Chief Minister had announced a special development package for the constituency and expressed hope that the area would witness greater progress in the coming days.

However, he did not clarify whether the decision to withdraw from active campaigning had been taken on the instructions of the party leadership or Abhishek Banerjee.

Since the deadline for withdrawal of nominations has already expired, Jahangir Khan’s name will continue to remain on the Electronic Voting Machines despite his announcement. Meanwhile, Suvendu Adhikari on Tuesday held a roadshow in Falta in support of BJP candidate Debanshu Panda. Khan’s statement reportedly boosted the morale of BJP supporters in the constituency.

During the press conference, an emotional Jahangir Khan said his dream had been to build a “Sonar Falta” and that he had taken the step considering the interests of local residents. Avoiding direct comments on any political pressure or party directive, he said he did not wish to speak further on the matter.

It is noteworthy that during the Assembly election held on April 29, allegations of irregularities and tampering with EVMs surfaced from several booths in Falta. Following the complaints, Suvendu Adhikari had demanded repolling, after which the Election Commission of India decided to conduct fresh voting in the constituency. In the meantime, the BJP formed the government in the state for the first time with a majority.

Political observers have noted that Jahangir Khan allegedly did not receive the expected level of support from the Trinamool leadership during the campaign. Although Abhishek Banerjee had campaigned for him before the final phase of polling, no major party leader was later seen actively campaigning in his favour.

On Monday, Jahangir Khan had also approached the Calcutta High Court seeking protection from arrest. Responding to allegations of poll irregularities, he maintained that he had followed all rules laid down by the Election Commission as a candidate and denied any wrongdoing under his instructions.

---------------

Hindusthan Samachar / Priyanka Pandey


 rajesh pande