Calcutta High Court Grants Interim Protection to TMC Candidate Jahangir Khan Ahead of Falta Re-Poll
Kolkata, 18 May (H.S.): The Calcutta High Court on Monday granted interim relief to Trinamool Congress candidate Jahangir Khan ahead of the re-poll scheduled for May 21 in West Bengal’s Falta Assembly constituency. Justice Sougata Bhattacharyya dir
Jahagir khan


Kolkata, 18 May (H.S.): The Calcutta High Court on Monday granted interim relief to Trinamool Congress candidate Jahangir Khan ahead of the re-poll scheduled for May 21 in West Bengal’s Falta Assembly constituency. Justice Sougata Bhattacharyya directed that no coercive action be taken against Khan until the completion of the re-election process.

The court observed that the TMC candidate should be given a fair opportunity to contest the election. At the same time, the court instructed Jahangir Khan to cooperate fully with the ongoing investigation. According to the order, interim protection has been extended in connection with all FIRs registered against him so far. The protection will remain in force till May 24.

Earlier in the day, Jahangir Khan had approached the High Court apprehending arrest ahead of the re-poll. In his petition, he cited recent political developments and public statements as reasons for fearing police action before voting.

The development comes days after Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari made sharp remarks against Khan during a public rally in Falta on Saturday. Addressing the gathering, the Chief Minister had said, “Let the election get over, then I will take care of him. I take full responsibility for that.”

Over the past few years, Jahangir Khan has emerged as an influential political figure in South 24 Parganas district. During the Assembly election campaign, his alleged confrontation with Uttar Pradesh-cadre IPS officer Ajaypal Sharma, who was serving as police observer in the Diamond Harbour police district, had drawn significant attention.

Known popularly as an “encounter specialist,” Ajaypal Sharma was often compared to the cinematic character “Singham.” Responding to the comparison at the time, Jahangir Khan had remarked, “He may be Singham, but I am also Pushpa… I will not bow down.”

Following the earlier phase of polling, opposition parties alleged that free and fair voting had not taken place at several booths in the Falta Assembly constituency. After reviewing the situation, the Election Commission decided to conduct re-polling in the affected areas.

The Bharatiya Janata Party has long accused Jahangir Khan of being involved in incidents of violence, extortion, and booth capturing in the Falta and Diamond Harbour regions. Opposition leaders have also claimed that several local residents were allegedly forced to leave the area due to fear and intimidation. However, Jahangir Khan has consistently denied all allegations against him.

Recently, while inaugurating a party office, Khan asserted that he was fully prepared for the election and said the people would respond through their votes to the development work carried out during the Trinamool regime. The interim relief granted by the High Court has further intensified the political atmosphere surrounding the Falta by-election.

Hindusthan Samachar / Satya Prakash Singh


 rajesh pande