
Kolkata, 21 February (H.S.): Event organiser Tanay Shastri has lodged a formal police complaint against Bengali actress and former Trinamool Congress MP Mimi Chakraborty in Bangaon, escalating an ongoing dispute between the two. The move comes after Shastri earlier served the actress with a Rs 20 lakh defamation notice.
Shastri, who recently spent 14 days in judicial custody following a harassment complaint filed by Chakraborty, is now demanding a public apology along with the return of Rs 2.65 lakh, which he claims was paid as her performance fee. He has alleged that the actress’s “false” accusations caused serious damage to his reputation.
The complaint has been filed at Bangaon Police Station in North 24 Parganas district.
Speaking to local media, Shastri said, “Mimi Chakraborty came to perform at our club and took a fee of Rs 2.65 lakh. She did not come to the stage at the scheduled time, so I have demanded that the money be returned. Because of her complaint, my image has been damaged. She must apologise publicly.”
He added that he had also submitted a written complaint at the office of the Superintendent of Police. Shastri maintained that there was no misconduct toward the actress during the event.
“Because of her false case, I had to spend 14 days in judicial custody. I have sought justice from the court and the government,” he said.
On Thursday, Shastri sent a legal notice to Chakraborty demanding Rs 20 lakh as compensation, warning of legal action if the demand is not met. “She has defamed me without reason. If she does not apologise or pay the compensation, a defamation case will be filed in court within the next two or three days,” he said.
Last month, Chakraborty travelled to North 24 Parganas district to perform at an event where she was scheduled as the final performer of the night. The actress alleged that the organiser stopped her performance midway after midnight, citing lack of permission to continue beyond the stipulated time. She subsequently filed a police complaint accusing Shastri of harassment.
In response, Shastri claimed that the actress did not arrive at the venue at the agreed time and denied any harassment.
During the course of investigation, police visited his residence, where he was allegedly accused of obstructing police duty. Shastri and two associates were later arrested on charges of harassment and obstruction of official work under non-bailable sections. He was granted bail on February 11.
With Shastri now pursuing a defamation claim, the matter appears set to enter a fresh legal phase. The actress has not issued any official statement on the latest development.
Hindusthan Samachar / Satya Prakash Singh