Narendrapur Fire Tragedy: DNA Tests Begin Confirming Identities of Deceased Workers
Kolkata, 21 February (H.S.): The identities of workers who perished in the devastating warehouse fire at Narendrapur in Kolkata are gradually being confirmed through DNA testing, bringing painful closure to several families who had been holding ont
Kolkata fire


Kolkata, 21 February (H.S.): The identities of workers who perished in the devastating warehouse fire at Narendrapur in Kolkata are gradually being confirmed through DNA testing, bringing painful closure to several families who had been holding onto hope for nearly a month.

The fire broke out on the night of January 25 at a warehouse in the Nazirabad area of Narendrapur, resulting in the deaths of 21 workers from Purba Medinipur district in West Bengal. Many workers had initially been reported missing, and their families continued searching for them, hoping they might have been admitted to hospitals or reached safety elsewhere.

As days passed without any confirmed information, authorities initiated DNA testing to establish the identities of the deceased. Samples were collected from 21 affected families across Tamluk, Panskura, Moyna, Nandakumar, Sutahata and Shahid Matangini blocks of Purba Medinipur district.

According to the district administration, DNA profiles of 16 victims have so far matched with their family members. The affected families were informed over the phone on Friday, triggering scenes of grief in several households.

Family members of the missing workers said they received calls from block offices informing them about the DNA reports and were asked to visit the local police station for further formalities. Some families, however, are still awaiting confirmation and continue to remain in uncertainty.

District Magistrate Younis Rishin Ismail stated that all 21 missing persons from the district were subjected to DNA testing to ascertain their identities. While 16 matches have been confirmed, reports for the remaining cases are still awaited.

Police sources said that once legal procedures are completed, the mortal remains of those identified will be handed over to their families. The administration has assured that efforts are being expedited to deliver the remaining reports at the earliest.

Hindusthan Samachar / Satya Prakash Singh


 rajesh pande