Anandapur: Remains of 18 Victims Handed Over to Families After DNA Match, Month-Long Wait Ends
Kolkata, 21 February (H.S.): Nearly a month after a devastating fire broke out in two warehouses in the Nazirabad area under Anandapur police station in south Kolkata, authorities on Saturday handed over the mortal remains of 18 victims to their fa
Anandpur


Kolkata, 21 February (H.S.): Nearly a month after a devastating fire broke out in two warehouses in the Nazirabad area under Anandapur police station in south Kolkata, authorities on Saturday handed over the mortal remains of 18 victims to their families following DNA confirmation.

The blaze, which erupted around midnight on January 26, had claimed 27 lives. After firefighters brought the flames under control, body parts were recovered from the debris. However, due to the intensity of the fire, most of the bodies were charred beyond recognition, making immediate identification impossible.

Subsequently, the administration collected DNA samples from family members of the missing persons for forensic examination. Based on the test results received so far, 18 victims have been positively identified.

Family members arrived at Narendrapur police station on Saturday morning to complete necessary formalities before proceeding to Kantapukur Morgue, from where the remains were handed over. Grief-stricken relatives said very little was left of the bodies, but they would perform the last rites with whatever had been returned to them.

Most of the affected families hail from Purba Medinipur district, particularly from Tamluk, Haldia and Nandakumar areas. Several relatives had been waiting outside the police station since morning. Some lost sons, others husbands or brothers. For many, the confirmation brought closure to weeks of uncertainty and emotional distress.

The uncle of Devaditya Dindar, a resident of Tamluk, said his nephew’s DNA report is yet to arrive. He added that the administration has been extending full cooperation to the families.

Members of the family of Sujit Singh from Bargoda village in Nandakumar also reached to collect the remains. Niranjan Mandal came to receive the remains of his son, Ramakrishna Mandal. He claimed that his brother, Gobinda Mandal, also died in the incident, but his DNA report is still pending. “Several reports are yet to come,” he said.

Officials stated that the identification process for the remaining victims will be completed once the pending DNA reports are received.

Hindusthan Samachar / Satya Prakash Singh


 rajesh pande