Suvendu Adhikari Announces Crackdown on Illegal Infiltrators, Says Those Outside CAA List Will Be Handed Over to BSF
Kolkata, 20 May (H.S.): West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari on Wednesday announced a strict crackdown on illegal infiltrators, stating that those not covered under the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) would be arrested and handed over to the
CM Suvendu Adhikari


Kolkata, 20 May (H.S.): West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari on Wednesday announced a strict crackdown on illegal infiltrators, stating that those not covered under the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) would be arrested and handed over to the Border Security Force (BSF). He said the law was now being implemented effectively in the state.

Addressing a press conference at Nabanna, the Chief Minister said the Union government had sent guidelines to the state on May 14, 2025, regarding the handing over of illegal Bangladeshi infiltrators directly to the BSF. However, he alleged that the previous government had failed to implement the directive. Adhikari said the BJP government had now begun enforcing the law on the ground after coming to power in the state.

The Chief Minister addressed the media after returning from a tour of North Bengal earlier in the day. Senior BSF officials were also present during the briefing. He said the state government had already handed over a 27-kilometre stretch of land along the border to the BSF to strengthen border security infrastructure.

Adhikari said seven communities are protected under the provisions of the CAA and that people belonging to those communities who entered the state till December 31, 2024, would neither be harassed nor detained by the police. However, those not covered under the CAA would be treated as illegal infiltrators, he said.

According to the Chief Minister, such individuals would be arrested by the state police and handed over to the BSF, which would then coordinate with the Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) for their deportation. He described the move as part of a “Detect, Delete and Deport” policy.

He further said the arrangement had been implemented with immediate effect in all police stations located in border areas. Necessary instructions had already been issued to the Chief Secretary and the Director General of Police, he added.

Explaining the legal framework, Adhikari said the law clearly defines who can enter India, through what process, and with which documents. He stated that no foreign national would be allowed entry into India without a valid passport and visa. He also pointed out that Section 33 of the law gives the Central government powers to make changes to provisions under special circumstances through official notifications.

Hindusthan Samachar / Satya Prakash Singh


 rajesh pande