Tehran Denies Missile Attack on UAE, Warns Against Escalating Gulf Tensions
Tehran, 19 August (H.S.): Iran has firmly rejected allegations by the United Arab Emirates that it launched ballistic missiles toward maritime targets in the Gulf, describing the accusations as unfounded and warning that such claims could undermine
Representative Image


Tehran, 19 August (H.S.): Iran has firmly rejected allegations by the United Arab Emirates that it launched ballistic missiles toward maritime targets in the Gulf, describing the accusations as unfounded and warning that such claims could undermine regional stability and trust.

The dispute intensified after the UAE on Tuesday accused Iran of firing two ballistic missiles toward shipping routes in the Gulf. Emirati authorities said their air defense systems detected the missiles, with one reportedly falling outside the country's territorial waters and the other landing within its waters. A subsequent assessment by the UAE concluded that the missiles had been directed toward maritime navigation before falling into the sea.

In response, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei categorically denied the allegations. In an official statement issued on Wednesday, he said the accusations were contrary to the principles of good-neighborly relations and risked damaging ongoing efforts aimed at strengthening cooperation and confidence among regional nations.

Baghaei urged countries in the region to avoid what he described as baseless accusations against Tehran, arguing that the Middle East is already facing significant security challenges and heightened geopolitical tensions. He maintained that preserving dialogue and regional cooperation was essential to preventing further instability.

The diplomatic row comes at a time of growing friction across the Gulf region. Iran has also reiterated that the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed to normal maritime traffic until it reaches a broader peace understanding with the United States. The strategic waterway is one of the world's most important energy transit routes, carrying a substantial share of global oil shipments.

Following the missile allegations, the UAE announced on Tuesday night that it was suspending all trade and financial dealings with Iran until further notice. Emirati authorities cited escalating regional security concerns and the need to protect national interests.

The UAE's accusation followed a public alert issued earlier on Tuesday warning residents of a potential missile threat. It marked one of several security alerts issued in recent months amid rising tensions in the Gulf. Authorities later linked the warning to the detection of the two missiles.

The latest developments have added to concerns about maritime security in the region. Oil tankers and commercial vessels operating in Gulf waters have faced increasing risks in recent weeks, prompting heightened vigilance among regional governments and international shipping operators.

---------------

Hindusthan Samachar / Jun Sarkar


 rajesh pande