
Qusra, Aug 18 (HS): A Palestinian American whose home in the occupied West Bank has been surrounded by Israeli settlers for more than a week travelled to his property on Monday to join family members defending the house.
The standoff in the village of Qusra has involved groups of settlers surrounding several Palestinian homes and preventing residents from leaving, according to reports. The United States has condemned the siege, while the Israeli military has deployed troops, saying they are there to maintain order.
The incident comes amid heightened violence in the West Bank in recent months. Palestinian health officials said Israeli soldiers and settlers have killed 87 Palestinians so far this year. Palestinians have killed three Israelis, including two who were killed during clashes in the West Bank village of Tell last month.
Loui Ridi, an Ohio-based owner of one of the houses, arrived in Israel on Monday before travelling to Qusra. Video footage recorded by his brother showed settlers near the area, including some driving all-terrain vehicles and speaking with Israeli soldiers.
Ridi had been monitoring developments through security cameras at his home and said he had been unable to sleep while watching the situation unfold.
“I can't let the settlers steal my house while I was watching,” he told reporters at Israel's main international airport.
He reached Qusra on Monday evening and reunited with his mother and sister before heading towards his house. His brother, Qusai Abu Rida, and his teenage son had remained inside the property to protect it.
The Israeli military has declared the neighbourhood where Ridi's home is located a closed military zone. Ridi said he was waiting for a military escort to reach the property.
“I should be able to go to my house freely, anytime I want,” he said, describing the situation as a “frustration and a nightmare” for his family.
---------------
---------------
Hindusthan Samachar / Jun Sarkar