

Beijing, May 23 (H.S.): The death toll in the massive explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in China’s Shanxi Province on Friday night has risen to 82, while several miners are still reported missing. Chinese President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Qiang have directed authorities to deploy full-scale rescue operations and ensure the best possible medical treatment for the injured.
China’s state-run news agency Xinhua reported on Saturday that the explosion occurred at 7:29 p.m. on Friday in Kinyuan County of Shanxi Province, located around 520 kilometres southwest of Beijing.
According to reports, a carbon monoxide gas alert had been issued at the mine shortly before the blast. A powerful explosion followed soon afterward. At the time of the incident, 247 workers were inside the mine. Authorities have not yet confirmed how many miners remain trapped underground, while rescue and recovery operations continue.
The county’s Emergency Management Bureau stated that 82 people have been confirmed dead in the coal mine disaster, while nine others are still missing. More than 200 workers were reportedly present inside the mine when the explosion took place.
A total of 123 injured persons are undergoing treatment at various hospitals. Of them, two are said to be in critical condition, while 119 others sustained minor injuries.
According to the bureau, 755 personnel, including rescue workers and medical teams, have been deployed at the accident site. China’s Ministry of Emergency Management said it had dispatched six national mine emergency rescue teams comprising 345 personnel to assist in the operations.
A doctor from Licheng County, located nearly 130 kilometres from Kinyuan County, said he received emergency orders at 4 a.m. and immediately rushed to the site with medical equipment and medicines. He added that he is currently assisting other rescue and medical teams at the scene.
Local authorities confirmed that individuals responsible for the company operating the mine have been taken into custody in accordance with the law.
An investigation team sent by China’s State Council has pledged a comprehensive and stringent probe into the disaster.
Following the incident, President Xi Jinping instructed rescue teams to make every possible effort to locate the missing workers. He stressed that those responsible for the tragedy would not be spared.
Xi further said that all regions and government departments must learn lessons from the accident, remain vigilant about workplace safety, and conduct thorough risk assessments to prevent major disasters in the future.
Chinese Premier Li Qiang also said that every possible effort is being made to trace the missing miners. He called for a detailed investigation into the accident and strict action against those found responsible.
According to foreign media reports, the disaster is being described as China’s deadliest coal mine accident in the past decade. Although China has tightened mining safety regulations in recent years, mine accidents continue to occur frequently. Experts attribute many such incidents to pressure for higher coal production and negligence in maintaining safety standards.
China continues to rely heavily on coal for its energy requirements, with more than half of the country’s energy needs being met through coal-based production. Shanxi Province is regarded as China’s largest coal-producing region and plays a crucial role in supplying the nation’s energy demands.
However, continuous production pressure has repeatedly raised concerns over mining safety in the region. Last month, another mining accident in Shanxi’s Lüliang area claimed the lives of four workers.
---------------
Hindusthan Samachar / Jun Sarkar