
Guwahati, 23 August (HS): Assam-registered vehicles travelling towards Shillong were reportedly stopped and turned back at Barapani in Meghalaya on Sunday, despite an agreement reached a day earlier between the governments of Assam and Meghalaya to ensure the safe movement of vehicles, passengers and tourists between the two states.
According to reports, members of a Meghalaya drivers’ association stopped vehicles coming from Assam and sent them back. Protests were also reported from several locations across Meghalaya on Sunday.
The development came a day after Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said that an understanding reached between representatives of the two states in Guwahati would help restore normalcy following the violence reported in Shillong on August 19.
A meeting was held at the Koinadhara State Guest House in Guwahati on Saturday. The Assam delegation was led by Minister Atul Bora, while Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbha Dhar headed the Meghalaya team.
During the meeting, Meghalaya expressed regret over the August 19 incidents and assured Assam that strict legal action would be taken against those found responsible. Dhar said a special team had been constituted to identify the persons involved and that 15 FIRs had been registered.
Bora said three KSU leaders, including the organisation’s president and secretary, had been arrested in connection with the violence. He also said that five persons allegedly involved in attacks on Assam-registered vehicles had been identified.
The two sides further agreed to establish a permanent mechanism for addressing recurring inter-state issues. A committee involving administrative officials, police personnel and local representatives from both states has been proposed to deal with such matters and prevent their recurrence.
A coordination mechanism between the Inspector General of Special Branch, Assam, and the Inspector General of Law and Order, Meghalaya, will also be put in place. Dedicated helplines and an online support system are to be activated to trace stranded persons and facilitate their safe evacuation.
At the district level, joint committees comprising officials from Nongpoh and Kamrup Metropolitan, along with police representatives from both sides, will address day-to-day issues along the inter-state border.
The governments have also agreed to form a separate committee comprising transport officials and representatives of tourist vehicle associations. The panel will oversee tourist vehicle movement and work to protect the tourism interests of both states.
However, the reported turning back of Assam-registered vehicles at Barapani on Sunday has triggered fresh concerns over whether normal vehicular movement between Assam and Meghalaya will be restored despite the assurances given by the two governments.-----------
Hindusthan Samachar / Sriprakash