
Guwahati, 22 August (HS): A Special Investigation Team (SIT) has been constituted to probe the August 19 attack on Assamese citizens in Shillong, Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister S Dhar said on Saturday.
Dhar made the statement after a high-level meeting between Assam and Meghalaya representatives at Koinadhara in Guwahati. The meeting was held to address the tensions between the two states following the incident in Shillong.
The Meghalaya delegation was led by Deputy Chief Minister S Dhar, while Assam Border Protection and Development Minister Atul Bora represented Assam. After the meeting, the two leaders briefed the media on the steps being taken to ensure the safety of people from Assam in Meghalaya.
Dhar said 15 FIRs had been registered in connection with the incident and three accused had been arrested. He added that 54 vehicles were damaged during the violence.
He said Assam tourists would be escorted safely back home within 48 hours and assured that adequate security arrangements had been made in Meghalaya to prevent any untoward incident.
Atul Bora said the Meghalaya government had expressed regret over the incident and constituted an SIT to investigate the attack. He added that Meghalaya Police had identified five unidentified persons allegedly involved in the incident.
According to Bora, 3,717 vehicles had been safely sent towards Assam, while 175 people had sought assistance from the police. He also appealed to protesters demonstrating at Jorabat in Assam to withdraw their agitation. -----------
Hindusthan Samachar / Sriprakash