11 hotels shut down in New Market area during joint civic, fire department drive
Kolkata, 21 August (H.S.): At least 11 hotels in the New Market area were ordered to shut down on Friday following a joint inspection by the Kolkata Municipal Corporation, Fire and Emergency Services and police authorities. The number of hotels fac
Symbolic Image


Kolkata, 21 August (H.S.): At least 11 hotels in the New Market area were ordered to shut down on Friday following a joint inspection by the Kolkata Municipal Corporation, Fire and Emergency Services and police authorities. The number of hotels facing closure may increase as the inspection continues.

Civic officials, fire department personnel and police visited several hotels in the area and pasted closure notices on the premises. The hotel authorities were directed to vacate the establishments immediately, while guests and residents staying at the hotels were also asked to leave. The administration has reportedly given the authorities 24 hours to completely vacate the premises.

The joint operation triggered considerable activity in the New Market area from Friday morning. According to officials, several hotels were allegedly operating without the required licences and approvals and were not complying with mandatory safety norms.

Sources said show-cause notices had been issued to the owners of the hotels on Thursday. Following allegedly unsatisfactory responses, the authorities launched the inspection drive on Friday. Officials entered the hotels, examined their facilities and subsequently pasted notices at designated locations. The hotels included seven establishments at 23 Marquis Street and three at 25 Marquis Street.

The inspections also reportedly revealed serious shortcomings in fire safety arrangements. Although some hotels had basic fire extinguishing equipment, adequate systems to deal with a major fire were allegedly absent. At some establishments, water pumps were found to be non-functional, while others reportedly lacked proper pipelines. In some places, water lines existed but were not in usable condition. Fire department officials inspected these arrangements during Friday's operation.

Meanwhile, show-cause notices were issued afresh to 17 more hotels in the New Market area on Friday. They have also been given 24 hours to submit satisfactory responses. Officials said that if the responses are not found satisfactory, closure notices may be served on those establishments as well.

The joint action by the civic body, fire department and police comes amid concerns over compliance with licensing requirements and fire safety norms in hotels operating in the busy New Market area.

---------------

Hindusthan Samachar / Priyanka Pandey


 rajesh pande