
Kishanganj, 20 August (H.S.): Seven youths from the Amour area of Bihar, who travelled to Dubai in search of better employment and higher wages, have allegedly become stranded there and appealed for help through a video. They have sought assistance from former MLA Mujahid Alam and the Bihar government, alleging that an agent took money from them after promising jobs at a sock manufacturing factory but failed to provide employment after their arrival.
According to the youths, agent Nahid Ghani collected around Rs 1.5 lakh from each of them on the assurance that they would be given jobs at a sock factory in Dubai. However, after reaching the UAE, they allegedly found that no work had been arranged for them. They also claimed that their passports had been retained by the agency.
The youths said they left their homes on August 1 and reached Dubai on August 5. They alleged that the agency provided food for only one day, after which they were forced to spend several nights on the roadside. They are currently staying near the Ajman bus stand at their own expense.
The youths said they have now run out of money for food and accommodation. They also claimed that their difficult circumstances forced them to remain without food for two consecutive days.
During a video call, the youths said they had undergone medical examinations before travelling to Dubai and had been assured of employment at a sock manufacturing factory. However, after their arrival, the agent allegedly told them that the factory had shut down. They claimed that the agency subsequently demanded 2,200 dirhams from them in the name of arranging employment and also asked them to deposit their passports.
The youths alleged that despite making the demanded payment, they were not provided with jobs. They further claimed that when they sought the return of their passports, the agency imposed various conditions. They also accused the agent of threatening and mistreating them.
One of the youths, Shamshad, alleged that after the video highlighting their plight surfaced, the agent called them and threatened them. He further claimed that they were pressured to record another video apologising for their earlier complaint.
The stranded youths have been identified as Dilfiroz Alam, Nasir Alam, Rabban Khan, Danish, Nazish, Shamshad and one other person.
After the video emerged, former MLA Mujahid Alam spoke to the youths over a video call and sought details about their situation. He asked them to provide whatever evidence they had relating to their passports, visas and payments made to the agent.
Mujahid Alam assured the youths that he would raise the matter with the concerned authorities and make efforts to facilitate their safe return to India.
The youths have appealed to the government either to ensure their safe return home or help them secure suitable employment in Dubai. They have also demanded that the money allegedly paid to the agent be recovered.
---------------
Hindusthan Samachar / Jun Sarkar