Chief Minister Reviews Flood Situation in Sabang, Announces Rs 9 Lakh Compensation for Families of Deceased
Kolkata, 20 August (H.S.) : West Midnapore, August 20 (Hindusthan Samachar): Chief Minister Shuvendu Adhikari visited Sabang in West Midnapore on Thursday to assess the flood situation triggered by heavy rainfall across several parts of the distric
Suvendu Adhikari in HLishahar


Kolkata, 20 August (H.S.) : West Midnapore, August 20 (Hindusthan Samachar): Chief Minister Shuvendu Adhikari visited Sabang in West Midnapore on Thursday to assess the flood situation triggered by heavy rainfall across several parts of the district. He conducted an aerial survey of the affected areas and held a meeting with administrative officials to review relief and rescue operations.

Following the review, the Chief Minister announced several measures for flood-affected residents. He said two people had died in the floods and that their families would receive compensation of Rs 9 lakh each.

Adhikari said around 3,200 houses had been damaged in Sabang alone. Each affected family would receive financial assistance of Rs 30,000, he announced.

Rain began in West Midnapore on Sunday, followed by heavy showers on Monday and intermittent rainfall on Tuesday. The rainfall caused the water levels of several rivers, including the Keleghai, to rise sharply. At several locations, river water crossed the danger mark and, in some areas, even the extreme danger mark. Water subsequently overtopped embankments and entered residential areas.

The Keleghai’s water level has now fallen below the danger mark. People who had taken shelter in relief camps have been sent back home after being provided with five days’ worth of ration.

The Chief Minister said additional funds had also been allocated to the police so that personnel could deliver ration and 20-litre drinking water jars to households in inundated areas.

Adhikari said he conducted an aerial survey of five gram panchayats and issued necessary instructions to officials after assessing the situation.

The Chief Minister also said 10 cases of snakebite had been reported during the floods. All those affected were successfully treated, he said, praising the Health Department for its response.

Camps for registration under the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana are being organised from Thursday, allowing paddy farmers to enrol for crop insurance. Adhikari said Madurkathi crop was not covered under the existing insurance scheme and directed officials to make separate arrangements for it.

During the visit, the Chief Minister also criticised previous governments, referring to claims that the last Chief Minister to visit the area was Jyoti Basu in 1986. He alleged that earlier governments did not consider people living in villages as important.

Adhikari said he had a close connection with rural communities, adding that villages were where his journey had begun and where it would ultimately end.

The Chief Minister also said Minister of State (Independent Charge) Rajesh Mahato had been instructed to stay in Sabang for the next two days. Mahato will monitor the situation on the ground until all affected residents are able to return home and the list of farmers eligible for crop insurance is prepared.

---------------

Hindusthan Samachar / Satya Prakash Singh


 rajesh pande