
Kolkata, 19 August (H.S.): Former Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) committee member Subrata Saha has broken his silence over the ongoing hotel controversy, describing the allegations of a conflict of interest against him as baseless and motivated. He has also raised questions over complainant Mahadeb Chakraborty, former CAB president Abhishek Dalmiya and the role of Tala Police Station.
A few days ago, former CAB Apex Council member Mahadeb Chakraborty submitted a 160-page complaint against Saha to the CAB Ethics Officer and former Chief Justice of the Calcutta High Court, Justice Jyotirmay Bhattacharya. The complaint alleges that Saha is a partner in ASL Prime Hotel LLP and that CAB entered into agreements with the hotel on several occasions, allegedly providing it with financial benefits. Chakraborty has described this as a conflict-of-interest issue.
Responding to the allegations on Wednesday, Saha questioned the role of then CAB president Abhishek Dalmiya. He said CAB had first arranged hospitality at his hotel on May 22, 2022, when he was associated with the cricket body and Dalmiya was its president.
Saha claimed that had there been any conflict of interest, the hotel would not have been given the responsibility. He alleged that the complaint was being made with a specific motive and pointed out that he has not been a member of any CAB committee since last year.
Dalmiya, however, rejected the allegations and said he had not filed any complaint against Saha and that his name was being unnecessarily dragged into the matter. He said he was not aware at the time that the hotel in question belonged to Saha. According to Dalmiya, CAB work orders are not signed by the president but by the secretary and treasurer. He said the then secretary and treasurer would be in a position to clarify whether there was any conflict of interest.
Saha also questioned the role of Tala Police Station in connection with his club, Belgachia United. He said BJP MLA Ritesh Tewari had raised objections regarding certain aspects of the club, following which Tala Police sought information from the club. Saha alleged that the letter from the police may have been issued with a specific purpose and claimed that Dalmiya and Chakraborty could be behind the move.
Dalmiya strongly denied the allegation, saying he had never spoken to any officer of Tala Police Station and had never visited the police station. Tala Police Station Officer-in-Charge Prolay Bhattacharya said he had taken charge only on Sunday and would need two to three days to understand the matter before commenting.
Saha also levelled allegations against complainant Mahadeb Chakraborty. He claimed that Chakraborty had stated in an affidavit submitted to CAB that he had secured a job with the Kolkata Police under the sports quota, a claim which the Kolkata Police Club had allegedly disputed. Saha said Chakraborty was subsequently removed from the Apex Council by the CAB Ombudsman and alleged that this was the reason behind the complaint against him.
Chakraborty, however, said that the CAB Ethics Officer had issued a direction last year regarding the hotel, which was allegedly not followed. He said this was the issue raised in his complaint and that the matter is now before the Ethics Officer.
The CAB Ethics Officer has scheduled a hearing in the matter for 7 pm on August 29. Further action is expected after the submissions and documents presented by the concerned parties are examined.
---------------
Hindusthan Samachar / Priyanka Pandey