
Guwahati, 17 August (HS): Assam Chief Minister Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma on Monday announced the release of the second phase of financial assistance for flood-affected families in four Upper Assam districts. CM was addressing a press conference at Lok Sewa Bhawan.
Under the second phase, 31,951 flood-affected families will receive ₹15,000 each. So far, 96,842 families have received the government’s direct financial assistance, the Chief Minister said.
Dr Sarma said flood victims in Upper Assam whose houses, vehicles and other insured properties were damaged have started receiving insurance payouts. So far, 170 people have received insurance compensation, while 1,598 people have applied for insurance claims.
The Chief Minister said people affected by the devastating floods in Upper Assam would receive compensation before Durga Puja. Preliminary reports indicate property losses worth around ₹480 crore, which could increase to more than ₹1,000 crore after a detailed assessment.
Reacting to the controversy over the alleged disrespect to ‘Vande Mataram’ at the Congress headquarters on August 15, Dr Sarma alleged that the Congress has always sought to create instability in India.
On the issue of government employees involved in polygamous marriages, the Chief Minister warned that such conduct would invite departmental action. He said if the first wife of a government employee in a polygamous marriage applies for it, she will be entitled to receive 20% of her husband’s salary, provided there has been no divorce.----------
Hindusthan Samachar / Sriprakash