White House Locked Down After Shooting Near Executive Complex During Trump-Iran Talks
Washington, May 24 (H.S.): A shooting incident near the White House on Saturday evening sent shockwaves across the area and triggered a massive security response. Reports said that at the time of the incident, U.S. President Donald Trump was engage
Law enforcement officials and security personnel cordoned off the area near the White House following a shooting incident on the evening of May 23 in Washington. At the time of the shooting, Donald Trump was inside the White House engaged in talks regarding an agreement with Iran.


Washington, May 24 (H.S.): A shooting incident near the White House on Saturday evening sent shockwaves across the area and triggered a massive security response. Reports said that at the time of the incident, U.S. President Donald Trump was engaged in discussions with officials regarding a possible agreement with Iran.

Following the gunfire, agents of the United States Secret Service swiftly cordoned off the entire area, while the White House was temporarily placed under lockdown as a precautionary measure. Journalists covering the White House were immediately instructed to move into the press briefing room amid fears of a larger security threat. Reports indicated that two people were injured in the shooting.

According to reports by CBS News, ABC News, and CNN, one pedestrian and a suspected gunman sustained injuries during the exchange of fire. Officials stated that approximately 15 to 30 rounds were fired near the Eisenhower Executive Office Building at the intersection of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW.

Journalists present inside the White House complex said they heard sounds resembling gunfire at around 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time coming from the direction of the White House grounds. Secret Service agents immediately escorted members of the media indoors, and the White House remained under lockdown for nearly an hour.

White House spokesperson Steven Cheung had earlier confirmed that President Trump was inside the White House until at least 4:00 p.m. Later, officials verified that the President was still at the presidential residence when the shooting occurred.

Journalist Emma Nicholson, who was present at the scene, said she was preparing for a recording when multiple gunshots rang out near the White House. She immediately ducked to the ground before the complex was secured. Nearly an hour later, journalists were permitted to return to the North Lawn of the White House.

Sources indicated that the suspects allegedly attempted to target Secret Service agents but failed to do so. Agents returned fire in what authorities described as an appropriate and controlled response. Two individuals were critically injured in the exchange — one suspected gunman and one bystander.

Secret Service spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi stated that the agency successfully thwarted the suspects’ intentions.

Meanwhile, Federal Bureau of Investigation Director Kash Patel wrote on X that federal officers reached the scene immediately after receiving information about the shooting. He stated that one suspect opened fire at a Secret Service security booth, though no agents were injured. In the ensuing exchange of gunfire, one suspect was wounded, while a bystander also appeared to have been injured.

The Secret Service and the FBI later confirmed on X that the White House North Lawn had been evacuated following reports of gunfire on Saturday evening. All journalists present in the area were moved to the press briefing room for safety.

Correspondent Selina Wang described the chaotic moments after the shooting began, saying, “We all immediately took cover. Once the gunfire stopped, we ran toward the White House press briefing room.”

The incident occurred less than a month after another shooting scare linked to the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, during which journalists and officials were reportedly forced to take shelter under tables while Secret Service agents secured the President.

According to video footage cited in reports, the suspected shooter, identified as Cole Thomas Allen, was seen carrying a shotgun while running from a security checkpoint before allegedly opening fire at pursuing Secret Service agents. He has reportedly been accused of attempting to assassinate President Trump. The earlier incident reportedly took place during the White House Correspondents’ Dinner at the Washington Hilton.

---------------

Hindusthan Samachar / Jun Sarkar


 rajesh pande