Hindusthan Samachar
Banner 2 बुधवार, अप्रैल 24, 2019 | समय 22:09 Hrs(IST) Sonali Sonali Sonali Singh Bisht

Voters in Coochbehar, Alipurduar ready to cast votes tomorrow

By HindusthanSamachar | Publish Date: Apr 10 2019 5:29PM
Voters in Coochbehar, Alipurduar ready to cast votes tomorrow
Coochbehar/ Kolkata, Apr. (HS): As more than six million electorate in two Lok Sabha constituencies of Coochbehar and Alipurduiar in North Bengal are expected to exercise their franchise in the first of the seven phase elections in the state tomorrow(11 April) amid huge expectation of winning the seats by one political party or the other, all arrangements have been made by the Election Commission to ensure a free,fair and peaceful poll on all the 3844 polling booths. Informing this, state Chief Electoral Officer(CEO) Ariz Aftab said here this afternoon that in view of the apprehension of some trouble in some areas in both the constituencies during the polling tomorrow, a total of 83 companies of para military forces would be deployed in about 60 per cent of the total 3844 polling stations as they had been declared either as ''sensitive'' or ''super sensitive'' by the Election Commission because of the prevailing law and order situation around these booths. Though the remaining 40 per cent of booths had been classified as ''normal'', the commission had decided to deploy state armed police in those centres, the CEO said but made it clear that if necessary, the central forces would be dispatched there too. Several flying squads would also monitor the overall situations in both the constituencies, he added. It may be recalled that only yesterday the EC ordered the removal of Coochbehar District Superintendent of Police Avishek Gupta on charge of dereliction of duty and appointed Amit Kumar Singh in his place with immediate effect. In addition,Special Police Observer Vivek Gupta held a number of meetings with the representatives of all Political parties and the district administration during the past two days to ensure that there was no trouble monger or tension among the voters before tomorrow''s elections and all steps should be taken to ensure a free,fair and peaceful poll,unlike the last year''s Panchayat elections when unabated violence claimed several innocent lives in both the districts. While Prime minister Narendra Modi and BJP President, Amit Shah held two public rallies each in Siliguri, Coochbehar and Alipurduar towns in favourt of BJP candidates during the past ten days, West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee also camped in these areas for four days and addressed at least five public meetings in Alipurduar, Jalapaiguri, Mathabhanga and other areas seeking votes from the electorate. Interestingly both Coochbehar and Alipurduar seats which were won by Trinamool Congress during 2014 elections with huge margin, are witnessing 17 and 11 cornered contest this time respectively with the prime battle remaining within the TMC, BJP, Congress and the Left Front candidates. Now it remains to be seen whether the voters in this two constituencies, having large number of tea gardens and hilly and tribal areas, would extend their support to the Prime minister and his team on the issue of nationalism and all round development,or decide to vote for the ruling TMC and the chief minister on local issues since both Congress and Left Front remained far behind in this two very important electoral battles in the state. Haindusthan Samachar/Ankur/Pramod \
लोकप्रिय खबरें
फोटो और वीडियो गैलरी
image