Hindusthan Samachar
Banner 2 सोमवार, अप्रैल 22, 2019 | समय 23:57 Hrs(IST) Sonali Sonali Sonali Singh Bisht

Meghalaya Govt to file appeal in SC to call off rescue ops to retrieve bodies from flooded mine

By HindusthanSamachar | Publish Date: Apr 3 2019 9:14PM
Meghalaya Govt to file appeal in SC to call off rescue ops  to retrieve bodies from flooded mine
Shillong, April 3 (HS): After nearly four months when 16 persons got trapped in an illegal coal mine at Ksan village in East Jaintia hills of Meghalaya, the state government has decided to move the Supreme Court to stop the operation to retrieve the bodies. Indicating this here, Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma said that the Supreme Court had directed not to stop the rescue operations right now. “Therefore, it is going on. Right from the beginning when the incident took place we had informed that it is a massive challenge and the challenge still exist,” he said adding it is not an easy situation but yet the different organisations and forces have been working to ensure that at least the body can be retrieved. On January 28, the Supreme Court had asked the Centre and the Meghalaya government to continue their multi-agency operations to rescue the miners. "Due to the Supreme Court order we cannot stop the operations to retrieve the bodies. That is why we are going to appeal in the Supreme Court," the Chief Minister said. Several agencies are on the job to retrieve bodies of the miners trapped in the flooded mine since December 13 last.During the operations, only two highly decomposed bodies of the 16 trapped miners were pulled out by the Navy''s remotely operated vehicle on January 16 and February 28.Rs 2.5 crore had been spent on the operation which began on December 13, the day 16 of the 22 miners, who went down the illegal mine were stuck when water gushed in from the Lytein river. The Army, the NDRF, some leading companies and the local administration are involved in the exercise. Hindusthan Samachar/Dhrubajyoti/Pramod \
लोकप्रिय खबरें
फोटो और वीडियो गैलरी
image